Sunday, October 12, 2008

Roma Fantastica!





































I am just finishing my third wonderful day in Rome so I figure it's time to report. Tomorrow we leave for Civitaveccia, where the cruise dock is, and start our 11 day tour of the Mediterranean. We are definitely excited for it (I am especially looking forward to fresh fruits and vegetables) but I am sad that my time here is over. Rome is a fun city.
When we were in Paris I thought the Louvre was so great partly because the building that held such precious art was a precious piece of art itself. Well, if the Louvre was cool, Rome is amazing because the whole city is basically one big museum. You don't have to go far to find ancient ruins, and the chances are the place you are staying is ancient itself. Our first day was consumed with ancient Rome. We started at the Colloseum where we received a first class tour and then continued with the tour guide through the old Roman Forum and up to Palatine Hill (where Rome got its start way back when). 4 hours later we were still walking through ruins and temples and basilicas until we found ourselves at the top of Capitol Hill. Here modern and ancient Rome merge seemlessly giving you the complete view of what Romans are all about.
The last big sight we viewed that day was the Pantheon which inspired the much later and greater St. Peter's Basilica. Just as we walked in the building, a boy's choir began singing and we realized it was the beginning of a Friday night mass. The acoustics in the Pantheon are excellent and we heard the whole thing.
So, after viewing an entire day worth of Roman architecture and listening to hours worth of Roman history here is what I think. Romans were basically big bullies. The whole city was founded by two random twin boys raised by wolves (supposedly) who fight to the death for the throne. Romulus beats out Remus and is therefore King-a bloody beginning that sets a thousand year trend. Rome's history is violent and brutish, full of deceit and betrayal, and they love to tell it even today. They were incredible warriors and they used intimidation any chance they could get. Every building still here today has something to do with the biggest and the best. Everytime they had another victory in battle or conquered another poor little struggling nation they would build a gigantic arch and have a "we're the best" parade. They turned the losers into slaves and forced them to worship their pagan gods and fight starving animals for sport. I'm not saying the Romans were putting on a false show, they really were the biggest and the best, I just think it's kind of rude that they flaunted it so shamelessly.
Despite their lack of humility, they really were an incredible world power. I wonder if they would have believed it if someone told them their reign would not last forever. Either way, they have left a legacy that I have found fascinating to walk through and I'm so glad so much of it is still here.
Second day was Vatican City-a country in and of itself. We decided that since it was Saturday (the busiest day of the week) and in October (during the peak of tourist season) we would pay a little extra, get a group tour and skip all the lines. I quite enjoy doing the tours anyway because having someone give in depth explanations for what we are seeing and telling us the stories behind the sights makes it much more memorable and valuable to me. I don't mind paying extra for my education. I think we made the right decision because the line would have been 2.5 hours or more and I don't like standing in lines when I could be actually seeing stuff.
Anyway, I really wanted to savor and appreciate the Vatican museum, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica, but unfortunately it wasn't quite the experience I had hoped for. I think the main problem is that it was just too crowded in there. We had a good tour guide and even though there were 50 in the group, we each got headsets and he talked into a mike so we could all hear what he was saying no matter where we were in the museum. But they kind of rush you through (because there are 1000's of people waiting in line to get in) so he would talk as we would dodge people while trying to get a quick glance at whatever he was talking about. The headsets were great but if you got too far away from him (which didn't take much to do) you couldn't hear anymore, so on top of dodging and viewing you had to speed walk through the crowds. All of that on top of being surrounded by hot and sweaty Europeans made for a tiring and semi-unenjoyable three hours.
Having said all that, the Vatican is still a must see and there are treasures that do make the misery worth it. The Sistine chapel was amazing but I was disappointed by how disrespectful people were. It says in EVERY language possible "silence," but people still talked-and not even in hushed tones. So the whole time you are viewing the chapel all you hear is SHHHHHH over the crowds and the guards clapping and shouting "silencio!" Very ineffective. It also says no cameras and yet flashes were going off everywhere. The only place that actually was quiet was the crypt, but that's because there were only dead people down there.
St. Peter's Basilica is enormous and GORGEOUS. It was pretty neat to have a tour guide take us through because he explained many of the relics-including a nail and a piece of the Savior's cross-and some about the early Christians and even the Catholic church today that I was unaware of. I have loved learning all about the church and Christian history and I am in awe of what some of the early Christians sacrificed to stay true to what they believed.
We actually found an LDS church not too far away to attend today and it was so nice to feel so at home in such a far away place. We just happened to pick the mission president's ward so he and about 10 missionaries greeted us in English and then provided head sets and translations for us so we could understand all that they were saying. It was great. All the members were so nice and so beautiful. Why is that? Italians are some of the most beautiful people I have seen anywhere-children and adults alike, everyone looks like a model. I feel very self conscious walking around these streets, especially in my backpacking attire.
This afternoon we have wandered from piazza to piazza people watching and window shopping. Even though there are more churches here than anywhere else I have seen, it seems as if most people not in them-they're shopping instead. One of my favorite things has been sitting by the fountains eating Gelato listening to the music in the square and looking at local artists paintings. It's just a fun place to be. We have had 3 days of absolutely perfect weather made even more perfect because I haven't seen the sun in 6 months. The sunshine makes everything better and so does pizza. The food is MUCH more to my liking here than it has been in cities past and I think my pants are getting tighter.
Anyway, that's Rome in a nutshell, it's been a marvelous experience. I am wondering what awaits me in Greece and Turkey but I'm guessing it has something to do with naked statues and power hungry egotistical leaders who have nothing better to do than think of ways to immortalize themselves in history.
Ciao!

3 comments:

CeeJ said...

Wow- Rome sounds tremendous. I'm so glad you have a blog, so I can pretend I'm there with you!! ;)

I'm particularly interested in what you were saying about the early Christians. Fascinating, isn't it? It just makes is all the more real.... to see a nail... or a piece of wood. (even if it was from that time period- not the actual nail..) Pretty amazing.

You'll remember this trip for the rest of your life! (Especially more so- now that you've blogged about it!!) Years from now, you will be SOOOO glad you took the time to write this down!!!

Paul B. Winn said...

Monique, Sweetheart - I am now jealous of you. In all of my travels I've never been to Italy, Greece or Turkey! I'm sure I would enjoy being there. I had hoped to get there, but maybe I'm too old now to make it, so enjoy it for me and prepare to tell me all about it and show photos when you get home. Love, Grandpa

christinacervenka said...

The best food I've ever eaten was the food I ate in Rome. And Gelato! Ugh I could eat gelato for days. I'm pretty sure I had it at least twice every day I was there. You definitely saw more in Rome than I did due to my lame student budget but I had a similar Vatican experience since it's stupidly crowded there. I enjoyed the 3 hour line for one reason: a HUGE group of Spanish tourists were in line in front of us. They sang and clapped and it was very happy. The rest of your trip is not familiar to me since I've yet to experience the Mediterranean. I hope you're having the time of your life. I'm very jealous of you. :)