Saturday, October 4, 2008

London














































Well, I have just completed 3 JAM PACKED days in London and I don't even know where to start. Much of what I saw and experienced cannot be put into words. I had no idea what awaited me in this city and I am in awe of what I have learned and witnessed.

First of all-I love London. The city is amazing and it is classy and cultured in a way I didn't know a city could be. Everyone here automatically seems more refined and well educated because of that fantastic accent. I even feel dumb when talking to children here-they just sound smarter. Their manners are of a higher class as well. Christy and I went for pizza the other night and I looked around after I began eating and realized that everyone else was eating their pizza in small bites with a fork and knife. I carefully observed them and tried to mimick but I was self conscious the whole time thinking they could see right through my fake manners and know that I was not an authentic fork and knife pizza eater.

The city has more history on one block than I knew was possible and it has been all we could do to run around seeing the major things there are to see. I feel like we have seen all I wanted to see but I know I could easily fill several more days with other museums, parks, shopping and buildings.

We started on Thursday by going to the National Gallery where I saw paintings dating back to the 1500's and even earlier from some of the most amazing artists-Monet, Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Renoir, Carravagio and the list goes on and on. I was in awe but little did I know that was just the beginning. We then walked around for hours viewing Big Ben, the Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, the Thames river and St. James Park at dusk. That night we went on the London Eye which takes you higher than any building in the city and you can see for 30 miles in every direction. How can you top that day?

Well, we did. Friday was pretty much one of the best days of my life for so many reasons. I feel like I have earned a first class education from all of what I have seen and learned here. We spent hours that morning in the Tower of London-built in the early 1100's and home to all of the Royal family and many of their political and religious prisoners as well up until the 1700's. We heard story after story of their courage, religious pursuits, dishonesty, scandals, and everything in between. There is so much more I want to know about those families. When I get back I know what I will be studying. It was amazing to be in the places where they stood and to witness what they built. Their history is fascinating. Of course we couldn't live the Tower before viewing the crown jewels. Um, I have NEVER witness anything in my life like that-it is one of the greatest collections of anything anywhere in the world and the cool thing is that the Royal family still wears them on special occasions-what would it be like to have the biggest diamond in the world on your head?

As we took a river boat on the Thames from the tower to Big Ben, I thought that it couldn't get any better than that, but I was wrong. Unfortunately the House of Lords wasn't open to view but that allowed us more time to spend in the Abbey. We went to Westminster Abbey where many of the tombs of Kings and Queens and famous English figures are housed. The beauty and ornate detail of the Abbey is beyond description but seeing those tombs there and learning of the stories behind them means that much more. We spent 3 hours there just walking around listening to the tour guide and trying to take it all in. I just hope I really remember it the way it deserves to be captured in my memory.

To finish off the day we went to the Lion King which was on Broadway for a long time but I never got to see it. The costumes and the masterminds that went into the design of that show are incredible-it was so amazing. The whole day I kept thinking of what to say or how to describe the day and I don't think I can put it into words. Therefore I apologize because this is such a second class description of a first class experience.
We finished off the tour today by spending the whole morning in the British Museum where some of the most extensive collections of Greek, Roman, Chinese, Mesopotamian, and other ancient cultures artifacts are housed. We saw Egyptian mummies, pieces of the Parthenon, and so much more. I just don't have time (or money-this internet stuff here is a rip off-8 dollars an hour!) to list all I learned.

To sum it all up, if that is even possible, I guess what I learned is that there is so much to learn. I have so many things I now want to study. I want to know about the people that lived here and all that they went through. The impression I kept feeling was that these people have stories to tell and I for whatever reasons have a desire to hear them. It has opened my mind just being here to see that there are so many people that have lived on this earth that I know nothing about and yet I feel a strange connection to them like somehow I should get to know them. They were in some ways just like me and in other ways completely different and yet their lives were just as real as mine. What interests me most is how different people fulfilled their roles as leaders. Some kings and queens were very good and honest and others were completely corrupt. For the most part they had the power thrust upon them without a choice of whether they would like the power or not and some handled it with honor and with great sense of responsibility to the people and others completely destroyed the country during their reign. It is all so fascinating and I can't wait to learn more.
Life is amazing and I am so grateful I have had this opportunity to see how other people lived their lives.

Paris next-what could await me there?

8 comments:

watson52204 said...

I think you got my share of the "desire to learn" gene. Once I get Kaden down, clean up his millions of toys and make dinner, all I want to do is sit on the couch to watch tv or play games on the computer. I want nothing to do with anything that requires thought and effort. I guess I will rely on you to do all the learning and studying and you can share it with me someday:) I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. I love you! Be safe!

PMC said...

Top of the Morning to you, Monique!
I finally pushed the blog button and I'm glad I did. I didn't realize I was missing out...never again! You sound like Christina when she first experienced London...you will never be the same again...there is a whole big world out there...thank-you for sharing...Cheerio for now!
Love, Aunt Patti

Paul B. Winn said...

Hi, Sweetheart - I'm so happy you are enjoying the trip - and I knew you would. I talked to your Mom this afternoon and she gave me the address of your blog, so I'll be following your trip as well. Have fun and be safe. Love, Grandpa

Jene Moore said...

Hi baby. OK, you will laugh at this but I have not written to you yet because I could not figure out how to respond. In my defense, daddy or Elizabeth did not know how to do it either. Believe it or not Grandpa had to tell me how to do it. Sad huh? Anyway, it sounds like you are having an amazing time. I wish I was there with you, but maybe someday I can go with you and you can show me all the great places to see. Until then I will just live through you. I love hearing about your travels and your experiences as only you can tell it.I can't wait until you get home and I hear the unabridged version and see all the pictures to go along with it.Please take care of yourself and be safe. (As your mom I had to say that) I can't wait to hear about Paris. Until then I love you and miss you.

Kathleen M Nutting said...

Bonjour, Monique!! You must be having a wonderful time in Paris as we haven't heard one word from you!! I'm glad that you went to Bath; it was one of our favorites in England. I think it was because of our terrific guide on the walking tour and because we stayed in an American-style hotel there.(Private bathrooms are scarce in the B&Bs!)Let us know if you climb to the top of the bell tower at Notre Dame Cathedral. Bill and I let Jeff do it while we watched!! Looking forward to reading lots more about your journey. Please take care of yourself and be safe. (As your Aunt I had to say that):) Love, Aunt KMN

Unknown said...

Hurray Monique! Someday they will make a movie out of your adventures! Peace. Dr Adams

Anonymous said...

Mo...I love this. My Dad always said, "The more you know, the more you know you don't know." I love your passion for learning! I think it is sometimes suppressed at different times of your life. And then there are times when the gates are open and the flood comes in and you feel that it's all you can do to stay afloat. Love you!!!!!!
PS So, I'm out to dinner with some friends from the ward. One was from Champaign, so I casually ask if she knows you. Her eyes went very big, followed by a loud, "What?" It was Sarah Lundt's little sister, Deanae. She is the activity co-chair in our/your ward. Small, small world. She said how impressive she thought you were. I couldn't agree more. You have quite an interesting life.

christinacervenka said...

Okay this made me so sad. We absolutely have to get together when you're back in the states because you now understand why London is the only place I've ever felt whole in my life. How you describe feeling like you've done everything but know you could pack in much more...well I lived there for 3 months and still feel like I missed an insane amount. Gah I really really want to go back immediately. I hope I gave you some useful advice for your time there.