Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bath:Beverly Hills, UK


Okay, so here is the history of Bath in a nutshell. Who knows who first discovered it, but the Romans were the first to capitolize on its assets. There are a series of hot springs here that were built around to make one large spa. It is incredibly well preserved and when it was rediscovered in the 17th century by the English they decided to capitolize on it as well. It was amazing to walk around the Roman Bath and Spa because some of their designs and creations were ingenious. The spa was also a great temple to worship the water Goddess Minerva. She was the divine power behind these hot springs and the reason for their special powers. It was said that these waters could heal anything from infertility to leprosy. I wonder if they could even cure singleness...?
Although the British did not worship here as the Romans did, they still believed these waters to be healing. Because it took money to come here, Bath in the 17th and 18th century became a
resort town for the wealthy and privileged. Anyone who was anyone had a vacation home here and rank and status were a determining factor on whether or not you were accepted in this city.
It was one big soap opera with scandals and gossip galore-after hearing many of the stories it sounds like a big highschool popularity contest.
With such emphasis on looks and fashion you would think that what they wore would be glamorous and extravagant. They had balls and parties almost every night and they would parade up and down the streets just to show off their latest style. However, when I toured the fashion museum I was extremely disappointed. I don't know if it was just a poor representation of what people wore or not but I am beginning to think that the English do not really have a great sense of style. Not that I am a fashion example myself but some of the dresses they wore were hideous. And I kind of think things haven't changed today...they dress nicer but often they don't match. I mean even I know that checkers and floral patterns do not an outfit make. The fabrics were often very drab and lifeless-much like the weather. The one redeeming era in the whole museum was the 80's disply which, if it is possible, was even more tacky than it was in the U.S. I think the 80's have lingered here though because I see an awful lot of leggings being worn and even an occasional oversized sweater off the shoulder look. Maybe they are making a comeback...
Whatever they lacked in sense of fashion they made up for in spades with the architecture. It is a perfectly planned and laid out city surrounded by hills and water. The best word to use is lovely. Everything in Bath and the surrounding area epitomizes its definition-it may have been why the word was created in the first place. We went on a walking tour for 3 hours around the city and the Royal Crescent on the top of the hill is breathtaking. It is the only elliptical crescent building complex of its kind and it is fantastic. Nicolaus Cage actually just bought one of the apartments there for 14 million so some are still available if any are interested.
The funny thing is this place seems like one big museum to me and yet people still live and work in these historical masterpieces. I guess I should get used to it-I'm going to see buildings older than this-but this stuff has been around for so long and it's still here!
Anyway, I have enjoyed Bath immensely, it really has been a lovely introduction to England and all it has to offer. In a few hours we are off to London to see what the city life is like. Maybe they will have a little more to offer in the way of fashion...we'll see.

2 comments:

In Good Company said...

I found you! I am so excited to follow your adventure.

Be safe.. love you.... A child is crying in the other room so I'll write more later

Sierra said...

Having recently shopped for children's clothing, I can tell you with some authority that, yes, the 80's are making a comeback. I mean, all the hideousness has come round full circle. The young women at church all wear leggings with thier dresses, and you can't buy a proper outfit at Old Navy for your pre-schooler without them. What can you do? They constantly grow out of clothes, so you have to buy new ones...