Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cruising through Greece!





































Okay, so I don't have much time but I have to give a little update of where I am. Right now we are in Rhodes, Greece-one of the islands in the Mediteranean. It's a fantastic island-beautiful beyond words-with a very interesting history. There are two parts to it-old and new city. The old city is medieval with walls and large ditches where motes used to be. Most of it is still intact so you can see the levels of defense they had to protect themselves from the Turkish invasions. There are several forts, outer walls, inner walls, cannons, guard towers and all kinds of stuff. I definitely wouldn't want to try to invade. From what I understand, the city was basically always at war-someone was always trying to get this land and I can see why. It's a beautiful island. The new part of the city is really pretty and it seems like people here have a lot of money-nice buildings, nice cars, nice shops, etc...
We spent the morning on the island seeing all the tourist sights and then the afternoon has been spent hanging out on a gorgeous beach. The water is so blue and clear that you can see everything and it is the perfect temperature as well. I couldn't imagine a more ideal day, it's been wonderful. In fact, the whole cruise thus far has been that way. I am not sure how I could have lived this long without going on a cruise, it is SO fun. The ship is beautiful and the weather has just been unbelievable. We've spent every day hanging out by the pool and eating every hour. It's heaven.
Yesterday we got to see a great little island called Mykonos-exactly what I picture when I think of Greece. All the buildings and churches are white with blue trim and all the locals just hang out all day. They were all so happy and relaxed and they live in the most beautiful place ever-maybe they know something I don't?
All I know is that I love life right now. Every day I get up and go to the top deck so I can see the sun rise, explore a great new place, hang out by the pool/beach, and then get dressed up for a four hour dinner in the dining room. Then I retire to my room where the bed has been turned down for me and when I wake up in the morning we are somewhere else so I get up and do it again. No wonder cruising is addicting!
Tomorrow we go to Santorini, another Greek Island and then to Athens and on to Turkey from there. There are several waiters on the ship from Turkey and Greece so I am trying to learn as much as I can from them about their countries and their experiences. So much to see and so much to learn, I am just trying to soak it all in.
Anyway, I'll post more in a few days after we've seen a few more ports. Everyone needs to come to Greece though, it's not possible to be in a bad mood while you're here, it's just too beautiful.

6 comments:

Sierra said...

Well, that's it. I have to go to Greece. You've convinced me.

Ganbat Family said...

I have always wanted to go to Europe and I actually feel almost like I've seen it when you describe it. Very exciting! Maybe someday we'll go, but Mongolian kind of trumps Europe until we have enough money to go to both.

Jene Moore said...

Hi baby,
I am so jealous of your trip, especially the way you write about it. You are an amazing writer.You should write a book about your adventures. I would read it. I am so saving my money so I can go to Europe and you are going with me to be my tour guide. I want to go everywhere you went. I knew you would like cruising. I really wish I was there with you. I miss you but I know you are having such a great time so I don't want it to end for you. You will have so much to tell me when you get home and I can't wait. I love you. Mom

CeeJ said...

Cruises ARE addicting! They are the BEST way to travel! I'm a little jealous too! (But not too much- I'm happy that you get to have such a wonderful opportunity!!) Mykonos- isn't that where they filmed the movie Mamma Mia? I think it is! It's GORGEOUS!!! (as you probably already know!!) :) One of these days, you're going to have to post pics!!!!

PMC said...

Hi Monique,
Your trip sounds magical ...I feel like I am in spirit with you and swimming in the blue lagoon...I didn't go to Greece on my trip because they were at War! I think the experience would have been very different... I picture scenes from the movie "Mama Mia"when I read your beautiful blog. I feel better all ready...keep on writing!
Love Aunt Patti

In Good Company said...

Aaron and i love reading your updates. Aaron loved hearing about Paris since he served a mission there and we both loved hearing your experience at Rome since we were there a couple of years ago. We agree Rome is a fun city. Although after reading about the island of the Mediterranean I think we need to experience the beauties there. They must make a lot of money off all the sightseeing that goes on there.

We Love you and are excited to see you when you get back